4.18.2008

Entry 27: In Admiration of The Big Picture

Looking at the moon this evening, i realize how much i don't appreciate my surroundings.

I Told my grampa recently that some of the places i most want to visit in life are World War era battle sites, like El Almein, Normandy, Dunkirk, the Maginot line, moscow, places like that. I said (and have said this for some time) that i want to see them to make them real. I know they exist, i know what they should look like, but i dont know how they are. they are merely stories told to me, that have matching pictures and several versions. But if i go there, i can take history and apply it to the location, i can make it real in my head that this place isn't just a place.

All my life i've stood on the earth and looked at the moon. I know what the earth looks like. I know what the moon looks like. The earth is real, and yet i dont appreciate its size sometimes, same with the moon.

So though it may never happen, i think i would enjoy standing on the moon and looking at earth. that would make everything more real to me. i could look at the earth, and say "i can see my house from here".

Ultimately, i'd like to see everything from the larger picture. the galaxy, the solar system. but some things are more possible than others.

I just love that space is real, and impossible to comprehend, yet so easy to understand.

and that one day, we'll be able to take it for granted.

2 comments:

Happy The Man said...

Why not try this perspective on for size, what is the purpose of life? When I think about that (and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of it), then everything else tends to fall in line and make more sense.

Talk about looking at the big picture...

RDCS said...

The Purpose of life?

thats a blog-prompt if i've ever heard one, thanks!